Adult tooth loss can occur as a result of tooth decay, gum disease, or a facial injury. Whatever the causes, tooth loss can severely impact your daily life, making eating difficult. Implant dentistry offers a solution to those with one or more missing teeth, providing a secure, natural feeling replacement for the teeth. Dental implants may be paired with different types of dental restorations to address each patient’s tooth replacement needs. To find out which treatment for missing teeth is right for you, schedule a consultation with Fort Worth, TX dentist Clark Damon.
Treatment Options for Replacing Missing Teeth
Because there are surgical and non-surgical options for replacing missing teeth, anyone that has experienced tooth loss can enjoy a restored smile. Those who suffer from tooth loss can enjoy restored dental function and appearance with the following treatments:
- Dental implants: Dental implant treatment offers a permanent option for the replacement of missing teeth. Dental implants are screw-like titanium posts that are surgically placed within the jawbone. As the jawbone heals around the implant, a secure bond is formed, much like the natural bond between the jawbone and tooth root. Dental implants can be paired with dental crowns to provide replacement of individual teeth, or with other restorations, as described below, to replace multiple teeth.
- Dental bridges: Those who prefer not to undergo surgery, or are not suitable candidates for oral surgery, may benefit from traditional dental bridges. Dental bridges can be used to replace one or several consecutive missing teeth. Dental bridges typically consist of two dental crowns joined by one or more artificial teeth. These dental crowns may attach to the adjacent remaining teeth, or, if multiple teeth are missing, dental bridges can be attached to dental implants.
- Traditional, removable dentures: Those who are missing a full upper arch of teeth, lower arch, or both can enjoy restored dental function with removable dentures. Each pair of traditional, removable dentures is custom-made for a snug, comfortable fit.
- Implant-supported dentures: Those looking for a more secure, natural feel and function with their dentures may find implant-supported dentures a better choice. Implant-supported dentures firmly anchor within the mouth by attaching to three to five dental implants. Implant-supported dentures eliminate the need for denture adhesives and allow patients to enjoy their favorite foods without their dentures slipping or sliding.
The Benefits of Replacing Missing Teeth
There are many benefits to replacing missing teeth. Not only does treatment improve dental function, it can also help oral health. Long-term tooth loss can cause the remaining teeth to shift and unevenly wear. It can also cause the jawbone to dissolve. Replacing missing teeth helps protect the jaw and remaining teeth, and it restores the smile's beauty. Some other benefits of tooth replacement include:
- Smile with confidence: After treatment, patients can smile with confidence.
- Restored dental function: Missing teeth can make eating painful and difficult. Replacing missing teeth restores dental function, so patients can go back to enjoying their favorite foods.
- Improved appearance: Tooth loss can cause the face to look aged and it may cause the cheeks to appear sunken. Replacing missing teeth can improve your appearance.
Find out Which Treatment Is Right for You
Discover the benefits of tooth replacement for yourself. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Damon to find out which treatments are right for you.